Why customer journeys are increasingly important to energy efficiency program marketing strategies
As customer expectations and needs continue to evolve, utilities are focused on delivering tailored customer experiences, including those within their energy efficiency portfolios. To better engage their customers, utilities are employing “customer journeys” – personalized communication paths based on a wide range of data points, including customer actions and historical program participation. When integrated with marketing automation tools, customer journeys provide an innovative way to deliver customized communications, increase engagement, and build consistent participation in energy-saving programs.
By leveraging this approach, utilities can execute marketing strategies that send a relevant message to the right customer at the ideal time. The approach can also be used to deliver more relevant communications and updates to Trade Allies and help their companies better serve utility customers. Customer journeys and marketing automation tools allow a utility to capitalize on opportunities to improve customer engagement and satisfaction, enhance lead tracking and channel attribution, and accurately measure return-on-investment for marketing efforts.
This marketing approach provides broad functionality for a demand side management portfolio, including:
- Harnessing customer data to build personalized messaging
- Triggering targeted communications and updates based on real-time events
- Delivering dynamic messages that inspire action from customers
- Analyzing individual and aggregate engagement data to optimize each customer journey
Utility energy efficiency portfolios can capture data points from historical program participation, email engagement, chat messaging, and website interaction to segment customers and build personalized communications. Additionally, utilities can leverage specific triggers – such as downloading an application, requesting an energy assessment, and completing a project – to deliver more timely and relevant communications to customers throughout their engagement with the utility.
Through the use of Leidos’ AMPLIFY™ Intelligent Marketing platform, our utility clients are leveraging several benefits of journey building and marketing automation including:
- Enhanced Engagement and Response: Communications that adapt to the preferences and real-time behaviors of customers and Trade Allies to help build marketing paths that are more intuitive and more likely to promote further action. Additionally, these paths can be generated from a variety of sources, including webinars, in-person events, and lead capture forms. In one of Leidos’ energy efficiency programs, our team has increased email engagement by more than 14 percent through advanced marketing automation.
- Improved Efficiency and Integration: The AMPLIFY Intelligent Marketing platform uses data integration and clearly defined processes to construct targeted customer lists – helping marketing staff to operate more efficiently and responsively. One Leidos program helped its utility client improve the efficiency of its marketing data management using AMPLIFY – turning a 10-step process to produce a targeted mailing list into just one click through the platform.
- Tailored Outreach: All customer and Trade Ally interactions are synced within a single user profile, which allows utility staff, energy advisors, and outreach personnel to access timely information and receive alerts when customers are engaging with specific topic areas. With this information, energy advisors and outreach representatives can tailor conversations to enhance energy project pitches, better nurture leads, and build stronger relationships with customers.
- Comprehensive Metrics: The AMPLIFY platform provides a central location for analyzing marketing campaign metrics and connecting those campaigns with key program performance indicators. With these metrics, utilities can gain a better understanding of which channels, messaging, and imagery resonate with customers and use those conclusions to inform future marketing initiatives. Additionally, implementation teams are able to better quantify the project impacts of marketing efforts and return on investment – analytics that can help to focus marketing tactics on the most cost-effective channels and mediums.
Through the use of customer journeys and marketing automation, utilities can gain more control and clarity over their energy efficiency marketing campaigns and build stronger program participation. To learn more about how Leidos integrates intelligent marketing tactics into our energy efficiency portfolios, contact our team for more information.