Automotive General Assembly Manufacturing
Remain competitive by harnessing the power of digital technology
Digital transformation is driving rapid, wholesale changes in the automotive sector. It is redefining how vehicles are developed and consumed – and everything in between. Innovations in computing technologies coupled with electrification initiatives are revolutionizing the industry, compelling conventional automakers to harness the power of digital technology, future-proof operations, and remain competitive in the marketplace.
Assembly Management Systems & Integration
Leidos unifies independent assembly systems – from shop floor to top floor – into a central cloud-based solution. This information conduit between business IT systems and plant floor operations can be leveraged by the Leidos Assembly Management System solution to control, manage, and streamline assembly processes.
- Vendor agnostic, open architecture, user-friendly configurable platform
- Robust error-proofing and traceability with comprehensive reporting
- Secure data storage and analysis solutions
- Assembly management solution
- Broadcast Andon solution
- In-station control with real time visibility
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning supports predictive actions
Digital Industrialization & Virtual Commissioning
Transforming production environments to support technology innovations can be a complex undertaking. Leidos’ Digital Industrialization & Virtual Commissioning (DI+VC) service uses digital twin technology to reduce risks and lower the costs of asset upgrades. An intelligent 3D model enables automakers to see layouts, tooling, and configurations; test software and equipment; and make adjustments in a virtual environment prior to project commitment. Once the physical build is complete, the digital twin can be used to collect performance and product data within the virtual environment.
- Digital twin technology
- Unrestricted system testing
- Failure analysis and issue detection
- Cycle time monitoring and analysis
- Process quality and safety checks
- Standards compliance
- Health & Safety verification
- Technical documentation
Adaptive Tooling System
Ramping up electric vehicle (EV) production while maintaining production of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles is challenging. For maximum efficiency, automakers also benefit from the ability to switch between vehicle models. Leidos’ proprietary Adaptive Tooling System (ATS) enables wholesale changes on the fly with no need to stop the line. Leveraging a single, reusable pallet with all tooling combinations necessary for different models and powertrains, and collaborative human-robots (cobots) that change tools automatically, ATS allows for quick assembly of multiple vehicle types in succession on a single line.
- Real-time alignment of EV production volumes and shop floor requirements
- Recyclable, redeployable tooling and assembly pallets
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- RFiD data tags measure machine and system health
- Cobot applications
- EV battery consolidation and pack assembly
Configuration & Testing
Traceable, objective validation of automotive electronics helps automakers reduce warranty costs and avoid liabilities. Custom equipment and solutions for automotive end of line (EOL) configuration and testing have significantly reduced the number of vehicles shipped by Leidos clients with warranty-related electrical problems. Our comprehensive suite of products includes electrical diagnostic systems, engineering diagnostic tools, and vehicle data loggers that are easy to use and adaptable to plant needs. Onsite support, remote systems maintenance, operational support, and training are included.
- Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (ECU)-based testing and configuration
- Electrical current-based testing
- Just-in-Time ECU module flash programming
- EOL Testing Work Cell Controller (vehicle information system)
- ECU certification
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Web-based reporting system
Services for automobile general assembly
It’s an exciting time in the automotive industry with product innovations, transportation electrification, and significant opportunities for assembly efficiencies. Emerging technologies allow you to reimagine a new, more modern future. Leidos can help you shape that future by transforming technology, systems, and processes in general assembly – starting today.
- Automation & controls
- Systems integration
- Configuration testing
- Vehicle diagnostics
- Software integration
- Engineering design & manufacturing
- Industrial robotics
- Commissioning & testing