Environmental Services and Performance
Leidos has more than 45 years of energy, environment, and critical infrastructure experience.
A pioneer in the energy efficiency industry, we have advanced the nation’s need for clean, reliable, and secure energy. Leidos is also a leader in the environmental engineering space, with solutions ranging from renewables, fossil fuel emissions reductions, environmental planning and implementation, public participation, regulatory compliance, data management, and site remediation.
As a services firm, our primary clean technology strategy is to hire the best and brightest minds in environmental services and maintain strong relationships with government agencies looking to develop new technologies, as well as other commercial entities looking to produce and advance renewable energy. Our team of talented and diverse experts provides advanced research and technology development for clean, reliable, and affordable energy solutions at government and industrial sites and academic labs around the nation. Our energy, engineering, and technical specialists devote their expertise to developing actionable approaches to risk management, scientific discovery, and engineering solutions that consistently meet our clients' energy mission requirements.
In 2020, Leidos managed $1.2B of energy, environment and sustainability support to clients across all markets. This represents 13% growth in our environmental group and 8% growth in our energy solutions group from 2019.
- 1 of every 4 Fortune 500® companies is a valued energy, environmental science, and engineering client
- Leidos has been tracking and reporting greenhouse gas emissions for Federal Agencies since 1995
- Clients include nine federal agencies and all five U.S. military branches
- We have been helping agencies to reduce their fossil fuel emissions for 35 years
- Federal, state, and industry clients have relied on Leidos for more than 50 years to meet regulatory requirements and protect workers and public health
- 50 years of environmental experience led Leidos to innovate the PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) remediation process
- More than 35 years of national and international awards from the Society of Technical Communications
- Helped utilities save more than 700,000 net megawatt hours annually through our energy efficiency services, equivalent to 55 million gallons of gasoline or enough to power more than 66,000 homes.
- Completed more than 22,000 environmental projects; including 8,200 environmental restoration projects, more than 550 environment, health, and safety compliance and verification studies; and more than 600 hazardous, toxic, and radioactive waste projects
- Completed more than 2,900 National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) studies for complex and politically sensitive projects in wilderness, rural, and urban environments.
- Provided more than $1.25 billion in incentives to utility customers through our managed energy efficiency programs.
- Reviewed 800 renewable energy and 150 biofuel projects across six continents, with energy capacity in excess of 35,000 megawatts over the last two years.
- Performed analytics on nearly 11 million environmental sample results.
- Prepared the largest habitat conservation plan for aquatic resources in the United States.
- Leidos environmental engineers and scientists provide a complete capability to meet the needs of customers, including the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Energy (DOE), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and commercial clients
- Assisted in developing the authoritative guidance documents for DoD: Regional Sea Level Scenarios for Coastal Risk Management (and accompanying database) and NAVFAC's Installation Adaptation & Resilience Climate Change Planning Handbook.
- Advised in the development and financing of more than 1,500 renewable power and fuels projects worldwide
- Leidos is serving one of the world’s largest nuclear cleanup efforts, dealing with the legacy of supporting nuclear weapons production at the DOE Hanford Site in south-central Washington
- As the National Science Foundation’s prime contractor on the Antarctic Support Contract, Leidos operates the world's longest supply chain and operates three research stations on the highest, driest, coldest, windiest continent on Earth
- The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) and Leidos have discovered a coal-to-graphene (C2G) manufacturing process, a technique that will give coal a greener future.
Leidos is ranked by Engineering News-Record among the Top Federal Environmental Firms
- #19, Top 200 Environmental Firms
- #9, Top Design Firm by Sector – Power
- #9, Top Design Firms in Power – Wind
- #22, Top Design Firms
- #4, Hazardous Waste
Featured Energy Projects
Hawaii was the first state in the country to establish a 100 percent clean energy mandate – targeting the year 2045 for this aggressive milestone. State officials and industry stakeholders immediately identified the importance of leveraging the state’s energy efficiency programs to engage customers and support these clean energy goals. Since 2009, Leidos has implemented and managed Hawaii Energy, a portfolio of commercial, industrial, and residential energy efficiency programs aimed at reducing energy demand and generating cost savings for Hawaii residents and businesses. Our team’s success in program implementation led to a three-year contract renewal in 2019, in which Leidos launched an even more aggressive program aimed at engaging hard-to-reach customers and incorporating more clean energy measures. In total, Leidos has helped Hawaii customers achieve over $1 billion in energy savings since the launch of the programs.
In 2018, Hawaii utilities filed an electrification of transportation roadmap, which details plans to increase EV use and the necessary EV charging infrastructure. In particular, the installation of EV charging infrastructure was identified by stakeholders as a critical focus area to successfully transition to clean transportation across the islands. Leveraging our existing customer engagement through the energy efficiency programs, Leidos launched a new EV charging station rebate program later that year in partnership with a local investment firm to encourage the installation of dual-port, Level 2 EV charging stations at workplaces as well as condominium and apartment complexes. The success of this program led to legislation being passed in the 2019 legislature for a state-funded EV charging station rebate program for 2020.
Via Hawaii Energy and in support of the state’s clean energy targets, Leidos continues to deliver incentives to multi-unit and commercial facilities across the state for the installation of Level 2 and DC Fast Charging EV stations. Our team has focused heavily on workplace charging, which provides the greatest opportunity for an increased number of EV charging station units and absorbs excess photovoltaic generation during daylight hours. Additionally, Leidos is evaluating EV microgrid and Vehicle-to-Grid opportunities as other methods to support the electrification of transportation roadmap. Beyond EVs, our team also promotes other clean energy measures, including solar water heaters and energy storage options.
Our experienced team blends effective program management with innovative approaches to deliver energy savings, lasting economic impacts, and environmental benefits.
Leidos is committed to clearing barriers to development and financing of renewable energy and safeguarding wise investment.
Leidos’ Energy and Infrastructure Consulting staff have experience in all forms of power generation, and the breadth of our experience makes us unique. We have assisted in the development of alternative and renewable energy by supporting private companies in their efforts to commercialize technologies, financiers in their evaluation of technologies and projects for debt and equity investments, and governments wishing to ensure that taxpayer money is spent wisely and effectively. Leidos applies capabilities in energy innovation, sound technical skills, and a solid understanding of regulatory and business concerns to strengthen our clients’ pursuits. A credible source of objective advice on energy technologies of all kinds, we work closely with clients to develop pathways to project success.
Renewable technologies have been a part of Leidos’ service portfolio since the 1980s, dating to the first concentrating solar power projects to go online in the Western U.S. Across Leidos are experts who have worked to support research into, commercialization of, and the launch of emerging technologies and sustainable energy programs that make up a growing part of the world’s energy equation.
Leidos has advised the development and financing of more than 1,500 renewable power and fuels projects worldwide, and renewable energy now accounts for a substantial portion of our independent engineering and owner’s advisory assignments. While the majority of these projects are in North America, the company has also contributed to projects on six continents.