Environmental Services and Performance
Our greatest contribution to environmental stewardship is through innovative and responsible solutions we provide to our customers.
Leidos has more than 40 years of energy, environment, and critical infrastructure experience. A pioneer in energy efficiency programs for more than 30 years, we continue to lead the energy efficiency industry with our innovations today. Our energy solutions advance the nation’s need for clean, reliable, and secure energy. Leidos is also a leader in the environmental engineering space, with solutions ranging from cleantech and renewables, planning through implementation, public participation, regulatory compliance, data management, and site remediation.
As a services firm, our primary clean technology strategy is to hire the best and brightest minds in environmental services and maintain strong relationships with government agencies looking to develop new technologies, as well as other commercial entities looking to purchase energy services.
Safer, more efficient, and more secure
- 1 of every 4 Fortune 500® companies is a valued energy, environmental science, and engineering client
- Clients include nine federal agencies and all five U.S. military branches
- Ranked by Engineering News-Record among the Top 10 federal environmental firms and Top 200 environmental firms list
- Ranked in the Top 5 in Nuclear Waste, Top 10 in Solar Power, Top 25 in Transmission and Distribution, and Top 50 in Hazardous Waste engineering by Engineering News-Record
- Leidos maintains an excellent record of completing projects within or ahead of schedule on more than 4,500 challenging environmental projects over the last five years.
- Leidos' Civil Group currently manages and executes 4,228 concurrent projects worth a total of $42B, with individual projects up to $4.1B.
- Leidos has:
- Helped utilities save more than 700,000 net megawatt hours annually through our energy efficiency services, equivalent to 55 million gallons of gasoline or enough to power more than 66,000 homes.
- Provided more than $1 billion in incentives from 43 energy efficiency programs
- Reviewed 800 renewable energy and 150 biofuel projects across six continents, with energy capacity in excess of 35,000 megawatts over the last two years.
- Completed more than 3,000 National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) studies for complex and politically sensitive projects in wilderness, rural, and urban environments.
- Completed more than 17,000 environmental restoration projects; 550 environment, health, and safety compliance and verification studies; and 585 hazardous, toxic, and radioactive waste projects to date.
- Prepared the largest habitat conservation plan for aquatic resources in the United States.
- Collected more than a quarter million environmental samples for testing and analysis.
- Innovated the per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) remediation process
- Out of 38,000 Leidos employees, nearly 1800 are dedicated to energy, environmental science, and nuclear security including cleantech and renewable energy.
- Energy Technology: Our team of talented and diverse experts provides advanced research and technology development for clean, reliable, and affordable energy solutions at government and industrial sites and academic labs around the nation. Our energy, engineering, and technical specialists devote their expertise to developing actionable approaches to risk management, scientific discovery, and engineering solutions that consistently meet our clients' energy mission requirements.
- Environmental: Leidos environmental engineers and scientists provide a complete capability to meet the needs of customers, including the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Energy (DOE), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and commercial clients. Our proven experience includes the following services:
- Environmental Planning – Accurately detect, quantify, and plan your site environment with the expertise of Leidos natural and cultural resource specialists. Using the latest assessment technology and monitoring strategies, we give you the data needed to make scientifically sound decisions needed to prepare National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents.
- Environmental Remediation – Reduce your liability with sustainable, long-term solutions that comply with Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Leidos offers smart analytics to help you identify effective and affordable solutions to complex environmental challenges.
- Regulatory Compliance – Federal, state, and industry clients have relied on Leidos for more than 40 years to meet regulatory requirements and protect workers and public health.
Highlighted in this report are just a few projects that show how Leidos helps to reduce negative environmental impacts through cleantech, energy efficiency , sustainable use of resources, environmental protection and remediation, engineering and infrastructure.
NASA Headquarters planning for sustainability and climate change
Ameren Illinois - Award winning energy efficiency and renewable resource programs
Metlakatla Indian Community - Providing emergency fresh waterRead more
U.S. Department of Energy - Serving one of the world's largest nuclear cleanup effortsRead more
National Energy Technology Laboratory - Analyzing the entire energy chain and reducing carbon footprint with innovation.
Leidos has advised the development and financing of over 24 Gigawatts of solar power, equivalent to roughly 35% of the entire US solar capacity1
Leidos’ Energy and Infrastructure Consulting staff numbers 90 employees with experience in all forms of power generation, and the breadth of our experience makes us unique. Our solar team draws on the company’s 40 years of experience across conventional thermal, wind, solar, hydroelectric, and geothermal generation to account for numerous risk variables on every project we evaluate and advise. Roughly 30 of our energy consultants regularly work on solar projects, and the team is a mix of engineers and power market professionals who are helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in their everyday work.
Leidos’ energy consulting portfolio has a truly global footprint. We have been the technical advisor or independent engineer for projects in over 70 countries and territories on 6 continents.
Our solar team is experienced in every phase of project development and implementation. Our engineers work to independently evaluate the design, construction, performance, and operations and maintenance of solar installations to confirm they will generate power as contracted. Central to our evaluations are the solar technologies to be used, including new-to-the-market modules, inverters, and trackers, as well as the underlying solar resource and energy production assumptions. Leidos engineers leverage comprehensive meteorological data, sophisticated modeling platforms, and technology research to verify each project will perform and compete to its full potential.
Leidos’ solar team is just one example of how our greatest contributions to environmental stewardship come through our customer work. The 24 GW of solar capacity our advisory team has helped develop is, according to estimations from the Department of Energy, equivalent to roughly 75 million traditional solar PV panels2. As the world’s appetite for reliable, clean energy grows, Leidos’ energy consultants will be working to ensure that utilities, asset owners, and investors can meet the clean energy demands of the future.
1Calculated using the Solar Energy Industries Association’s US Solar Market Insight, dated September 17, 2019
Leidos Scientists and Environmental Engineers support human and environmental health in the wake of natural disasters for EPA
Typically we think of firefighters, police, and medical staff when we think of emergency responders, but the Leidos employees who get the call in the wake of a natural disaster are a team of scientists and engineers. Our employees in the Energy and Environmental Science (EES) Division support the EPA’s Environmental Response Team (ERT) as part of the Scientific, Engineering, Response, and Analytical Services (SERAS) contract. They travel throughout the country on short-notice and provide the ERT with around-the-clock capabilities in technical monitoring, safety, and quality assurance in disaster response.
“As much as we plan ahead, you simply can’t time these national emergencies,” said Environmental Engineer Jon McBurney. “And as there are emergencies, our staff dedicated to the SERAS contract are committed, ready, and willing to help at a moment’s notice – even when this necessitates traveling right into the center of danger.”
Our SERAS team coordinates and implements a wide range of activities to protect both human health and the environment in the wake of natural disasters, and responded to numerous emergencies over the past few years including hurricanes, wildfires, and the recent refinery fires in Texas.
One great example of our SERAS team’s work is in the conduct of slope stability studies in the wake of wildfires. The 2018 California wildfire season was the deadliest and most destructive in the state’s history, with 8,527 fires burning nearly 2 million acres. These fires left slopes across the state exposed and unstable, as the vegetation holding them up had burned off. Once the fires were mostly contained, our SERAS geologists perform onsite slope stability studies that then inform EPA’s post-fire response. These studies identified areas most vulnerable to potential mudslides in the event of subsequent heavy rains, and informed response plans designed to keep these environments and nearby infrastructure intact.
The impact made by our SERAS team is immense, spans the entire country, and extends far beyond the footprint of Leidos’ offices. Discover Biologist Chris Gussman put it best in saying, “Working with the EPA on the SERAS contract has been extremely fulfilling. It is rewarding to see the concrete benefits of our labor in examples like the hurricane cleanup, volcano monitoring, and wildfire stability – but knowing that there are individuals who are now safe because of all the work you’ve put in, there’s great satisfaction in that.”
Helping all customers of Ameren Illinois, regardless of income or socioeconomic status, gain access to incentives that help them reap the benefits of energy efficiency
Energy costs are a significant financial burden for lower income households – with many families spending approximately 20 percent of their monthly income on utility bills. Homes and buildings in lower-income neighborhoods tend to be older, with fewer energy-efficient features and equipment, which compounds the problem of high costs for low income energy consumers. In downstate Illinois, the local utility Ameren Illinois sought to invest in these communities and help customers reduce energy costs through efficient home upgrades. As the prime energy efficiency program implementer, Leidos assisted Ameren Illinois in launching the Market Development Initiative in 2018. The Initiative is comprised of projects and partnerships all working together to further three goals: engage customers who have not previously benefitted from energy efficiency, increase the number of industry jobs available to local and diverse candidates, and support new and growing energy efficiency businesses.
Leidos assists Ameren Illinois in building awareness and increasing participation in various energy efficiency projects and programs by building partnerships with key community-based organizations, such as the Illinois Black Chamber of Commerce (ILBCC) and the NAACP. In addition, our team plans community events, hosts training for community partners, and builds online resources for the Initiative. Leidos’ marketing and outreach specialists provide expertise in targeting and engaging low-income communities so the benefits of energy efficiency programs reach those who stand to benefit the most. Leidos also provides Ameren Illinois with experienced project managers, who help guide customers through the various energy efficiency programs and capture opportunities to reduce costs.
The Market Development team has deployed many innovative methods to engage communities throughout the Ameren Illinois service territory. Ameren Illinois and Leidos partnered with the Head Start childcare program to provide training to their staff and educate new families on the available energy-saving programs for their homes. The partnership with the ILBCC included the incorporation of energy efficiency education into organization’s networking mixers, where minority-owned business owners could sign up for an energy assessment and apply to be considered for procurement opportunities with Ameren. Our team also collaborated with “Meals on Wheels” programs, working across the territory to educate customers on energy efficiency initiatives and provide them with energy-saving kits during meal drop-offs.
The efforts by Ameren Illinois and Leidos have led to award-winning outcomes since the Initiative’s launch, demonstrating the environmental and economic impacts to communities throughout central and southern Illinois. Some of the key outcomes of the Initiative include:
- Generation of over 2,000 energy efficiency program participants in the first year
- A 40% increase in minority- and woman-owned business enterprises supporting the program
- $8.5 million program spend with minority-owned suppliers and vendors