Exceptional change and strong progress characterized 2016.
Each year, the Leidos Corporate Responsibility Report takes stock of the progress and impact of our company across multiple areas that we deem important to our growth and sustainability. In 2016, in addition to strengthening our exceptional workforce (including hiring veterans and wounded warriors), strengthening our commitment to operating ethically, and supporting the communities where we live and work, Leidos doubled in size by acquiring Lockheed Martin Information Systems and Global Solutions.
The highlights below are just a few of our key accomplishments and successes in major focus areas during calendar year 2016.
- We made over $2.0 million in charitable donations and our employees contributed over 18,000 hours of their talent to a wide variety of company-sponsored causes, including STEM education, basic needs and wellness, ethics and leadership, and support to our military and intelligence personnel and their families.
- Spanning eight years, Leidos donations to STEM education programs total nearly three million dollars and our employees logged close to 8,000 volunteer hours alone to this cause in 2016. Leidos employees continue to help foster America's next generation of technical professionals.
- Leidos again facilitated “Community Days," where twenty-two offices from the company's Commercial Energy Solutions and Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce business worked to generate goodwill in the community and increase employee camaraderie. A little friendly competition resulted in 1,500 volunteer hours and raised over $76,000 for myriad local charities.
- Since announced in 2011, we reduced our absolute GHG emissions by 25 percent from a 2010 baseline.
- In calendar year 2016 alone, Leidos reduced GHG emissions from North American sources by over 16% through real estate restructuring as well as through improved efficiency programs and increased use of renewable energy.
- Out of 32,000 Leidos employees, more than 1,000 are dedicated to energy, environmental science, and engineering.
- Engineering News-Record ranked Leidos as among the Top 10 federal environmental firms and Top 20 environmental firms nationwide.
- Leidos has received more than 40 National Safety Council awards for Occupational Excellence and Perfect Safety Records for the past 20 years.
- The talent needed to grow our business depends on cultivating a workforce rich in diversity of thought, experience and culture. We increased our diversity and inclusion efforts in 2016 by continuing to add Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to our portfolio while emphasizing the establishment of leadership structures and operations. ERGs are company-sponsored affinity organizations composed of employees who join together based on shared characteristics or life experiences.
- We expanded our development opportunities for employees by enhancing our very successful Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). We offer a range of MOOCs including supervisor responsibilities, PMP® certification preparation, Innovation Awareness, and System Engineer Certification Training. Leidos continues to offer more than 3,000 online courses at no cost to employees or their organizations on topics such as business, management and information technology.
- More than 20 percent of our workforce are veterans, illustrating a strong affinity with the military both in our lines of business and our workforce. Since 2015, we have hired over 3,000 veterans. For our Operation Military Veteran Program (MVP) efforts, we ranked #22 on the Military Times "Best for Vets" Employers for 2017, based on 2016 data and we remain focused on hiring veterans, including wounded warriors.
We have a lot to be proud of when looking back on 2016. Our corporate responsibility report outlines the actions we pursued to help our company grow and become more sustainable. The report complies with the Global Reporting Initiative™ G4 Reporting Framework.