Program refinement and solid progress characterized our sustainability efforts in 2017.
Each year, the Leidos Corporate Responsibility Report takes stock of the progress and impact of our company across multiple areas that we deem important to our growth and sustainability. In 2017, in addition to strengthening our exceptional people programs, we continued to operate with the highest integrity, increased our charitable budget, strengthening our community activities, and further reduced our Green House Gas (GHG) emissions.
The highlights below are just a few of our key accomplishments and successes in major focus areas during calendar year 2017.
- We made $4.25 million in charitable donations (doubling our prior year’s contributions) and our employees contributed over 25,000 hours of their talent to a wide variety of company-sponsored causes, including STEM education, basic needs and wellness, ethics and leadership, and support to our military and intelligence personnel and their families.
- We launched a new anti-opioid social responsibility campaign, involving a number of tactics across non-profit relationships, tradeshows, press and media opportunities, print collateral, and digital and web properties to help educate, raise awareness, and challenge other organizations to take action against the growing epidemic.
- We maintained strong partnerships with fifteen difference colleges and universities through our long-standing Strategic University Alliances program, where we focused on improving STEM education as well as bringing high-technology solutions to the nation's most challenging problems.
- Leidos achieved an overall reduction in scope 1 & 2 GHG emissions of 13% compared to 2016 and 40% compared to our 2010 baseline. Since our 2010 base year, we have reduced the energy intensity of our real estate portfolio by 28%.
- We made two significant improvements to our GHG inventory in 2017. For the first time, Leidos began quantifying scope 3 GHG emissions from business travel and employee commuting.
- Our owned facilities in Gaithersburg, MD and Rockville, MD began sourcing 100% of their power from renewable sources as of the end of 2017.
- We ranked #38 in Newsweek’s Green Rankings 2017 U.S. 500, and “Best in Industry” for IT Services. Engineering News-Record also ranked us among the Top-10 federal environmental firms, Top-20 environmental firms, and Top-20 program management firms nationwide
- For the second year in a row, we made LinkedIn’s Top Companies list. We also were named on the inaugural Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. The talent needed to grow our business depends on cultivating a workforce rich in diversity of thought, experience and culture. Our Diversity and Inclusion campaign reinforces the importance of an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives yield innovative solutions for our customers.
- We partner directly with employees to understand their career aspirations by aligning their passions and interests to an effective skill set that serves both the organization and the community. We offer a range of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) including supervisor responsibilities, PMP® certification preparation, Innovation Awareness, and System Engineer Certification Training. Leidos continues to offer more than 3,000 online courses at no cost to employees or their organizations on topics such as business, management and information technology.
- More than 21 percent of our workforce are veterans, illustrating a strong affinity with the military both in our lines of business and our workforce. In 2017, we hired over 2,750 veteran and military spouse employees. For our Operation Military Veteran Program (MVP) efforts, we were named to the inaugural VETS Indexes List, launched in July 2017, which includes publicly traded companies that support the hiring and professional development of veterans.
We are proud of programs and activities – our corporate responsibility report outlines the actions we pursued to help our company grow and become more sustainable in 2017. The report complies with the Global Reporting Initiative™ Standards Framework.