Continued emissions reductions and major wellness initiatives characterized our sustainability efforts in 2018
Our efforts went beyond programs and resources designed to benefit Leidos employees, and provided for those most in need in our communities. Additionally, we committed time and resources to battle one of the major issues of our time, the Opioid crisis.
The annual Leidos Corporate Responsibility Report, published in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI™) Standards Framework, takes stock of the progress and impact of the Company across multiple areas assessed as important to its growth and sustainability. Each year, Leidos strengthens its workforce, maintains a commitment to hiring veterans, further reduces its Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, seeks to educate and engage employees in sustainability campaigns, enhances its robust ethics program, and expands its participation in the community.
The highlights below are just a few of our key accomplishments and successes in major focus areas during calendar year 2018.
- To support the communities where we live and work, Leidos made more than $4.25 million in charitable donations and employees contributed more than 26,000 volunteer hours to a wide variety of company-sponsored causes including STEM education, basic needs and wellness, ethics, and leadership, and support to our military and intelligence personnel and their families.
- In 2018, Leidos continued to build on our impactful anti-opioid social responsibility campaign. The multi-faceted internal and external campaign included additional awareness/educational materials published on Leidos.com, participation in regional panels led by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a CEO Pledge (i.e., call-to-action published to Leidos.com to encourage industry partners to join our cause), expansion of our non-profit relationships, and various community and state chamber engagement projects.
- We maintained strong partnerships with fourteen different colleges and universities through our long-standing Strategic University Alliances program, which focused on improving STEM education, as well as bringing high-technology solutions to the nation's most challenging problems.
- At Leidos, we continually eliminate under-performing real estate assets and improve operating efficiencies across our entire real estate portfolio through efficiency measures and flexible workplace programs. This strategy resulted in Leidos reaching our Legacy 2020 greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction goal of 25% 6 years early in 2014. Between 2017 and 2018, we continued to reduce GHG emissions through further real estate restructuring, improved efficiency programs, and increased use of renewable energy to power our owned facilities.
- We increased renewable energy purchases by nearly 500% between 2017 and 2018 through the use of Renewable Energy Credits.
- We were ranked #6 by Engineering News Record (ENR) for Top Federal Environmental firms, and earned top 10 rankings from ENR in multiple environmentally-related categories, including Power (#10), Design Firms in Power Transmission & Distribution (#7), and Solar Power (#9).
- As part of our strategic commitment to diversity and inclusion, we launched a Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) campaign in 2018: Inclusive Perspectives = Innovative Solutions. It reinforces the importance of an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives yield innovative solutions for our customers.
- We participated in the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index, which recognizes companies committed to transparency in gender reporting and advancing women's equality in the workplace. We were recognized by Forbes Best Employers for Diversity list for the 2nd year.
- We partnered directly with employees to understand their career aspirations by aligning their passions and interests to an effective skill set that serves both the organization and the community. We offer a range of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) including supervisor responsibilities, PMP® certification preparation, Innovation Awareness, and System Engineer Certification Training. Leidos continues to offer more than 3,000 online courses at no cost to employees or their organizations on topics such as business, management, and information technology.
- More than 21 percent of our workforce are veterans, illustrating our strong affinity with the military both in our workforce. We maintained our “Best for Vets” and Top 100 Military Friendly Employer designations. For our Operation Military Veteran Program (MVP) efforts, we were once again named to the VETS Indexes List, launched in July 2017, which includes publicly traded companies that support the hiring and professional development of veterans.
We are proud of the programs and activities our corporate responsibility report outlines and the actions we pursued to help our company grow and become more sustainable in 2018. The report complies with the Global Reporting Initiative™ Standards Framework.